Why I no longer watch the news

Why I no longer watch the news

I used to watch the news – every day at 6pm. Just for a while, catch the latest headlines. If I was at home during the day, I would have Sky News on in the background. I would look at the Sky News app on my phone around three or four times a day.

I read The Guardian, maybe once a week at the weekend – usually a Saturday. I enjoyed reading comment and opinon.

I admit I also read gossip mags. Drove my partner mad by leaving half open magazines strewn across the living room floor, with garish images of Katie Price staring out at hime as he tried to eat his dinner.

One afternoon, recently, colleagues at work were discussing Syria. I suddenley realised that I didn’t have much clue what was going on. Apparently something had happened in Kenya, Egypt, too.

Panic set in. I don’t read or watch the news anymore!

I go out for my lunch, glance at the newsstands. Katie Price is pregnant again – wait – and she’s had the baby! How could I not know?

So I make the effort again. I’ve been attempting to keep up, at least with ‘real’ news. And each time, I have to switch it off again – I can’t stand it.

Why?

Today I opened my Sky News app – what did I see? A massacre in a Kenyan Mall, a man set himself on fire in Washington DC, a British schoolboy has been abducted, a missing teenager’s body has been identified. Madonna has disclosed she was raped at knifepoint during her early career.

Was it always like this? Or is it my emotional response to news stories that has changed? I suspect the latter.

One of the main reasons I write my blog is that, as a Mum of two, my brain is so FULL of things to do, demands, hopes and fears for my children and family that I crave mental space. Writing gives me some of that – renews and restores some of the synapses that have been stuck on ‘prepare, do and tidy up’ mode.

Watching the news today requires an energy that I’d rather channel elsewhere. I’d rather let my mind wander on the needs of my family than on imagining fearful negative scenarios brought on by current news stories.

Ok, I’ll find a middle-ground, set up some google alerts on issues I care about – parenting, education, health and wellbeing.

But at least for now, the news is out.

And I simply don’t care anymore about Katie Price.

Photo credit: wetdogproductions.com

14 Comments on Why I no longer watch the news

1. we3three
    October 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm (10 months ago)

i’ve been feeling very much the same recently. news i think has always been relatively depressing but i’m definitely more affected by awful stories now im a mum. i can’t believe how far we’ve apparently come in hating each other and the level of inhumanity we are seeing at the min is mind blowing :( i just wish ignoring awful news made it stop happening :(

• expressionconfession
      October 6, 2013 at 10:15 pm (10 months ago)

You’re so right…I wish that not seeing it, it wasn’t happening, too!

2. Sally Jenkins
    October 6, 2013 at 8:00 pm (10 months ago)

I agree with your Katie Price comment and I also admit to not watching the news. Mainly because I’m cooking/serving dinner when the early evening news is on and too tired at 10pm! I catch odd bits on the radio but that’s it.

3. makagutu
    October 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm (10 months ago)

I gave up on news specifically and TV generally a long while ago.

4. Madeleine
    October 7, 2013 at 6:25 pm (10 months ago)

I am trying to get back into it as a trip home where people seemed to be discussing lots of issues with a good level of knowledge and information made me feel a bit ignorant. My plan is print news though, in order to avoid some of the high impact, sensationalist stuff about rapes and murders and things.

• expressionconfession
      October 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm (10 months ago)

That’s not a bad idea actualy! Maybe print news is the way forward.

5. Christine
    October 11, 2013 at 3:17 am (10 months ago)

I never watch the news either. Particularly here in America where everything is so over the top and dramatic. Like: “Storm Watch!!” for something that would barely register as a shower in the UK. Plus since becoming a mum I just can’t handle all the bad stuff in the world anymore.

6. Mums do travel
    October 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm (10 months ago)

I never watch TV news. I listen to the news on Radio 4 instead, in the car or while I’m cooking. This gives me a vague idea of what’s going on in the world in a time efficient way.

• expressionconfession
      October 12, 2013 at 9:47 pm (10 months ago)

Oh good idea! I might try that instead. Radio def a good plan.

7. Earthmother (@mmearthmother)
    October 13, 2013 at 10:26 am (10 months ago)

I feel the same way, with only about an hour to myself everyday, I want to do something that makes me feel positive and rewarded. Unfortunately the news does neither. Same goes for gory or miserable TV shows. #MBPW

8. Mummy Kindness
    October 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm (10 months ago)

I’m actively steering clear of the news this week as it’s better for my mental health at the moment. My heart seems to break with every news story. I do think it’s important to know what’s going on it the world, but for now I’m staying in my own little bubble.

Found you via #mbpw

X

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Why I no longer watch the news

1. […] the news. Ah – the ultimate energy-drainer and depressant. I recently wrote about this here and I’m still trying to find a way to read the good news and avoid the bad. Let me know if […]