Blog every day in August: A day in our life

This month I am taking part in Yummy Mummy in Training’s ‘Blog every day in August’ challenge. Day 6 is ‘a day in our life’…


A day in our life (based on today, in fact – I work three days a week, so the other two days would be VERY different!):

6:30am: Wake up, realise neither daughter is awake yet, decide to get in shower while I can.

6:45am: Exit shower – 9 month old now awake but playing in her cot so I get dressed and dry hair in approximately 5 minutes. I can hear my mother-in-law downstairs, who has arrived to look after the children for the day.

6:50am: Partner, still in bed, begins to make “I’m awake but I don’t want to me” noises. I get 9 month old up and bring her to him for a cuddle.

7am: Go downstairs to greet MIL and finalise everyone’s ‘stuff’ for the day. I hear two-going-on-three-year-old waking up and partner getting her out of bed.

7:10am: Say my goodbyes for the day, including partner who is off to London and not back until late tonight. Get in car and drive to Rochdale, where I work.

8am: Arrive at work. First thing I do is make a coffee, or often I’ll treat myself to a latte from the cafe. Caffeine is very important to me. Usually, I have breakfast, too, as I didn’t have time at home (bowl of shreddies, usually!). Work at one of our hot desks until around 12 ish (well, perhaps a break for more coffee around 10ish).

12pm: Lunch – usually a quick sandwich if I’ve managed to make one in time, or I’ll grab something from the cafe. I usually use this half and hour to do more blogging! It’s bliss just to have half an hour of silence!

12:30pm: Return to desk – work until 4pm with maybe a break (yes, more coffee).

4pm: Leave Rochdale and drive home.

4:45pm: Arrive home to relieve MIL of childcare duties! Greeted by big smiles from nine month old and a barrage of “I’ve been doing this, Mummy!”, “I’ve been doing that!”, “I’ve got a new trampoline move!” from two-going-on-three-year old. They’re in the middle of their tea, so I start to help with their pudding, and get nine month old’s bottles sterilised and ready for the evening.

They tell me about their day – they’ve been to a local park called Dunham Massey and had a picnic. I do miss them when I’m at work, and I feel a slight emotional tug when I hear what a lovely day they’ve had. But then I remember why I work, and that I’m lucky to be able to work just three days per week and have four days with them. I’m also lucky that they have such good childcare – both from my MIL and an excellent childminder. They are always happy and well looked after.

4:30pm: Play in the garden for a bit. Two-going-on-three-year-old shows me her new trampoline moves. Nine month old plays on her big garden mat and shuffles herself all around it, as she’s just learning to get around (a bottom shuffler).

5pm: MIL and I have our tea, which she has kindly prepared. Two-going-on-three-year-old squashes my cherry tomatoes. More garden play.

6pm: All exit upstairs for bath/bedtime. Nine month old is the first to have her bath – at the moment she loves making large splashes which drench me in water and bottom shuffling her way back towards the taps and plug.

Bathimte is a challenge concerning two-going-on-three-year-old, as she suffers fairly badly from eczema, something I haven’t written about. She understandably does not like the bath as the water sadly stings her sore skin. We try to do it only a couple of times a week and as quickly as we can. She then has her emmollients and medical creams applied, before she puts on her pyjamas. She sees a dermatologist, and we’re confident she’ll grow out of it. But it’s a difficult waiting game.

6:30pm: Nine month old, who doesn’t sleep much during the day, has her milk and her eyes start to droop. Two-going-on-three-year-old kisses her and says “night night” and I put her in her cot. She carries on drinking her bottle in her cot and nods of to the sound of Ewan the Dream Sheep which has been a brilliant sleeping aid.

Two-going-on-three-year-old bounces on her bed for a bit (yes, we let her – one of those concessions you wish you’d never made) and then has three stories.

7pm: I say “night night” to two-going-on-three-year-old. Have a cup of coffee and cake and say goodbye to MIL, who is travelling back home.

7:30pm: Get things ready for tomorrow, when daughters will be at the childminder.

8pm: Retire upstairs, put PJs on, fire up laptop, and sit in bed blogging and awaiting partner’s return from London!

That was our day today.

Read day 7 here.


Working Mum of two, living in Didsbury, Manchester, in a house which breeds washing, mushed up raisins and various toys in the brightest primary colours. Oh, and the odd empty wine glass.

5 thoughts to “Blog every day in August: A day in our life”

  1. Atm I stay at home in the day but am due to start work one day a week in September so I’m looking forward to having lunch to myself šŸ˜€ My son also has eczema and we used to avoid baths until we ditched the steroid cream and started bathing him in Miamoo splashy wash and Akamuti Evening Primrose Day Cream (bought for me) has been amazing for his skin. Hope you find something which works for your little miss x

Leave a Reply